What is the Rock Climbing Instructor award?
This qualification is all about supervising safe climbing and abseiling sessions on single pitch crags and artificial structures. Whether you’re a parent, a volunteer or an outdoor centre instructor, the Rock Climbing Instructor qualification trains and assesses experienced rock climbers to instruct climbing
How do I get started?
To get started on the Rock Climbing Instructor qualification you need to meet the following prerequisites:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You should be an experienced indoor and outdoor rock climber.
- You should have a genuine interest in climbing and the supervision of groups.
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you’re not already a member) – find out why.
If you can meet all of the above requirements, here’s what to do next:
- Create an account on our Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one.
- Register for the Rock Climbing Instructor scheme (this costs £47)
Rock Climbing instructor handbook.
Download the handbook here